John Grimley, Editor & Publisher of Asia Law Portal, provides writing, editing, digital publishing, business development, market research and speaking services to legal services sector clients:
Business Development and Market Research
John Grimley provides law firms with comprehensive business development services including business development audits, identification of saleable services within rarefied legal practice specialisms, qualitative and quantitative market research and analysis of new potential clients and referral sources, outsourced new business pipeline development, international business developments trips, trade show representation, research and drafting of requests for proposals (RFP’s), custom proposals, in-depth profiles of prospective clients, coaching and training of lawyers and business development and marketing staff and advisory assistance on negotiating and structuring new client engagements.
- Identified and assisted the practice group leader of an AmLaw 200 law firm secure a multi-billion dollar publicly traded global energy corporation as a new client in relation to complex legal and governmental advocacy assistance in the Middle East & North Africa region.
- Assisted an Asia-Pacific region elite boutique law firm develop a sophisticated, comprehensive business development plan aimed at securing new clients from prime sources of foreign direct investment into their home jurisdiction.
- Working closely with the managing partner of an elite Hong Kong boutique law firm, created a new custom business development and marketing plan for the firm focused on international markets.
- Conducted a business development audit for an ASEAN region elite boutique law firm and provided ongoing strategic counsel on the implementation of this custom plan.
- Helped a London-based lawyer and specialist in sub-Saharan Africa infrastructure and finance law craft a custom business development plan for a leading international law firm.
- Helped a Central and Eastern European Region (CEE) attorney create a comprehensive business development plan for a global law firm.
- Provided ongoing comprehensive strategic counsel to a Mexico corporate attorney related to building a foreign client base.
- Assisted the CEO of an Eastern European legal services sector technology company identify and engage with senior law firm management executives in Europe.
- Identified and assisted a Washington, DC-based SEC law partner secure a non-US trade association in need of partial exemptive relief from the extraterritorial application of a US regulation.
- Identified and assisted a Washington-DC based trade law partner secure a foreign sovereign prime minister for assistance with correcting outdated tariffs being applied to exported goods to the US.
- Identified and assisted the managing partner of a Brazilian public procurement law firm secure US corporate clients seeking public sector contracts in Brazil.
- Identified and assisted a US federal public policy law practice group secure overseas financial services clients in need of comprehensive US compliance assistance.
- Identified and assisted US federal marketing and Gulf States law practice groups secure Japanese and other East Asia-based clients in need of assistance in securing US and GCC public and private sector contracts.
- Identified and assisted a US law firm partner secure a large European energy provider seeking to secure US public sector contracts.
- Identified and assisted an EU public affairs consultancy secure US corporate clients seeking EU public contracts via engagement with decision-makers both in Brussels and within EU member state capitals.
- Identified and assisted a US litigation practice secure a European corporate client in need of a liability audit prior to entering the US market.
- Assisted US mid-market focused investment banking professionals secure US clients in need of debt, equity, restructuring and valuation services.
- Identified and assisted an EU corporate law practice secure a corporate client in need of comprehensive M&A counsel for purposes of making a cross-border EU acquisition.
- Identified and assisted a US Intellectual Property (IP) practice secure a European corporate client in need of an IP audit prior to entering the US market.
- Identified and assisted a Mexican corporate law firm managing partner identify and secure a European corporate client in need of legal counsel related to the establishment of operations in Mexico.
- Assisted US private equity groups establish EU operations and identify acquirable assets across a broad spectrum of sectors, revenue profiles and geographic locations within the EU.
- Provided comprehensive, personal training to US lawyers and in-house legal marketing & business development professionals on fundamentals of international and domestic legal business development.
- While working in China, Japan, the ASEAN Region and the European Union on behalf of a US international law firms, initiated and developed comprehensive referral relationships with professional services providers in those jurisdictions.
Writing, Editing, Digital and Social Media Publishing
In the internet age, strategic development and use of sophisticated written materials and the social media channels which amplify these messages can make a significant positive difference in a law firm’s ability to generate more brand recognition, more referrals, and more inquiries from new potential clients. Social media is not just a place to publish and engage, however. It’s also a place where market research can and should be conducted to identify ideal potential referral partners, clients, networking and earned speaking opportunities.
John Grimley began his professional career serving as a writer to the President of the United States in the White House. He went on to write for senior British diplomats — and continued his career providing writing, research and digital and social media publishing services to elite international law firms — including AmLaw 100 and 200 law firms and elite boutique law firms in France, Mexico, the United States, Canada, Ghana, Czech, Japan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Maldives, Vietnam, Singapore and Australia. In 2014 he authored A Comprehensive Guide to the Asia-Pacific Legal Markets. Based on more than 25 years as a professional writer, editor and digital publisher he provides services including the research and drafting of topical articles, website content, marketing material, white papers, studies, submissions and digital and social media content creation and management.
His digital and social media publishing expertise combined with his experience gained in media relations, business development, marketing, writing and editing — provides clients with well-rounded and informed strategic solutions to their need to become recognized thought leaders in their unique practice specialisms and grow their firms in international markets.
- Created custom content for use by an elite ASEAN region boutique law firm for publication in a widely read regional legal news publication.
- Provide an Asia-Pacific Region NewLaw firm with research, writing and editing services to create custom written content to more effectively define itself in the highly competitive Asia-Pacific region legal market.
- Provided editorial direction for digital and off-line content creation to law firms on subjects ranging from corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, SEC compliance, private equity, energy, international trade, trusts & estates, corporate insolvency, EU competition, US federal regulatory advocacy, China’s One Belt One Road infrastructure initiative, French corporate, Brazilian public procurement, Mexican energy and corporate law, Iraq oil & gas and infrastructure law, Vietnamese corporate and finance law and Malaysian cross-border trade and investment facilitation.
- Provided a US private equity group with custom content for use across both digital and print platforms designed for key audiences ranging from institutional investors to middle market corporate executives.
- Researched and drafted content for use on and off digital platforms for an elite corporate boutique law firm in Singapore.
- Researched and drafted content for use on and offline for an elite boutique law firm in Tokyo specializing in infrastructure finance, governmental relations, mergers and acquisitions and trade and investment facilitation.
- Authored a 90,000 word semi-scholarly book on macro and micro economic trends and their application to the Asia-Pacific Region legal services markets for publication by a major European professional services sector publisher.
- Assisted a Vietnam-based elite boutique law firm establish and operate a law blog dedicated to Vietnamese law for foreign investors, multinational corporations and domestic companies.
- Assisted an AmLaw 200 law firm partner establish a blog dedicated to a national market in the MENA region, including ongoing editorial direction and research.
- Assisted a Southern California elite boutique law firm specializing in corporate M&A and securities law establish a law blog dedicated to these and other related specialisms, including the research and drafting of topical articles.
- Helped an elite tax and legal elite boutique law firm in Maldives create an advanced digital marketing effort focused on expanding brand recognition and referrals in international markets.
- Assisted a Paris-based elite boutique law firm establish a law blog dedicated to French law for foreign investors, including the research and drafting of topical articles.
- Assisted an elite Tokyo boutique legal and compliance recruitment firm establish a content marketing effort focused on establishing a thought leadership position in international legal markets. Efforts included research and drafting of topical articles.
- Assisted an ASEAN region elite boutique law firm establish a content marketing initiative focused on foreign investors. Efforts included research and drafting of topical articles.
- Assisted a Mexico City boutique law firm establish a law blog dedicated to Mexican telecom, energy and other domestic legal specialisms focused on foreign investors. Efforts included research and drafting of topical articles.
- Researched, drafted and edited website content for an elite boutique Washington, DC public affairs consultancy focused primarily on federal legislative advocacy on behalf of domestic corporate clients.
- Researched, drafted and edited a semi-scholarly book about European Union public affairs engagement for foreign multinational corporate leaders.
- Researched, drafted and edited semi-scholarly articles and pamphlets on behalf of British and European former cabinet level officials and parliamentarians on European Union governance issues.
- Researched, drafted and edited a wide range of written work on behalf of US state and federal legislators and one US President, on issues ranging from local municipal land-use issues to US foreign policy.
- Provided the Publisher of a major US historical magazine with ongoing research and writing services in support of special publish projects related to US federal government issues.
- Researched, drafted and edited website content for the federal regulatory practice of an elite Washington, DC public policy and regulatory law firm.
- Researched and drafted substantive responses to media enquiries on legal market trends on the Asia-Pacific region for the managing director of an elite regional legal and compliance recruiter.
- Researched and drafted topical articles for online and offline use by a multi-disciplinary legal technology and outsourcing firm in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Researched and drafted a speech before a major international legal conference for the Managing Partner of an elite Asia-Pacific boutique law firm on China’s One Belt One Road initiative and its’ implications for law firm leaders in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Researched and drafted talking points for use by the managing partner of an elite Asia-Pacific boutique law firm for use before a major regional legal conference in a presentation on trends in ASEAN region alternative dispute resolution for foreign and domestic companies.
- Helped a London-based lawyer and specialist in sub-Saharan Africa infrastructure and finance law craft a custom written business development plan for a leading international law firm.
- Helped a Central and Eastern European Region (CEE) attorney create a comprehensive written business development plan for a global law firm.
- Assisted elite boutique law firms, legal recruiters, legal services sector companies, individual legal practitioners and law firm staff in the European Union, the United States, Africa, Latin America and the Asia-Pacific Region establish and maintain a variety of social media channels focused on the dissemination of custom content to discerning audiences.
A regular commentator on the business of law in the Asia-Pacific region and international business development for lawyers and law firms throughout the world — John Grimley provides law firms and legal services organizations with custom in-person presentations.
His previous Asia-Pacific region legal markets focused presentations include:
- Asia-Pacific General Counsel’s Office of the World Bank-International Finance Corporation (IFC) in Bangkok
- Clyde & Co Asia-Pacific Partners Conference in Hong Kong
- LexMundi Asia-Pacific Annual Meeting in Jakarta
- Asia Legal Leaders Forum in Hong Kong
“John is an excellent communicator. Since engaging his services almost six months ago, he has greatly promoted our brand and helped strengthen and solidify our reputation as knowledge matter experts within the regional legal recruitment markets that we serve. He knows his stuff and perhaps more importantly, knows exactly who, how, when and where the message should be communicated”Robin Doenicke, President, Zensho Group, Legal, Compliance and Risk Recruitment, Tokyo, Japan
“John helped LNT Partners establish Vietnam Law Insight, a law blog focused on the firm’s ideal client base in international markets. He also provides invaluable ongoing strategic direction to LNT firm partners and associates on improving our international business development efforts. I strongly recommend him to any law firm seeking growth in international markets.” Dr. Net Le, Partner, LNT Partners, Vietnam
“I commissioned John to write his 2014 book entitled “A Comprehensive Guide to the Asia-Pacific Legal Markets“. John was a wonderful author to work with and I would highly recommend him for both his knowledge of the legal market and his writing skills. I enjoyed working with him throughout the process – from discussing the initial idea for the new publication right through to sending the book to print. I admire John’s extensive research abilities, his absolute dedication to and passion for his work, and I greatly appreciated his unwavering commitment to completing a project despite any setbacks. He is a wonderful person to work with on both a professional and personal level, and I hope to have the opportunity to work with him again in the future.” Helen Donegan, Publisher, ARK Group and Head of Content, LCA (part of Wilmington Group plc), London, England
“John has displayed a keen knowledge of international business development [and] has helped me develop substantial business relationships in various countries which will assist my practice in growing exponentially.” Philip D. Vasquez, Of Counsel, Steptoe & Johnson PLLC, Houston, Texas and Erbil, Iraq
“John loves business development and knows exactly how to do it. His knowledge and appreciations on this fast-pace global world are priceless.” Alberto Esenaro, Legal Adviser on Telecom, IT, Energy & Automotive and Author, Mexican Law Blog, Mexico City, Mexico.
“John is an extremely well informed consultant in the space of international and domestic sectors of business development. His in depth knowledge of the field coupled with his own law background makes him a very valuable [advisor].” Rajnish Puri, Corporate Transactions and Business Attorney at Clark & Trevithick, Los Angeles, California
“John is one of the very select group of individuals who understands and can provide strategic advice to a client both the legal challenges and business-side goals of a transaction. John delivers results, and does so with the highest level of professionalism as a true deal maker.” John Schafer, Managing Attorney at The Schafer Law Firm, P.C., Newport Beach, California
“John is a key business partner for lawyers developing international activities. John can not only put you in relation with the right person or investor, but can also be a decisive business partner who can help you in any international transaction. Since [I’ve] work with [him], I can clearly offer a better service to my clients.” Benoit Lafourcade, Partner, Delcade, Paris, France
“John is a very dedicated and talented individual that has delivered on his promises and has demonstrated an unusual knowledge in the trade for which I hired him. As a result we are now seeing results we had not expected to happen so soon. I have to admit I am delighted with our business relationship.” Ernesto Valarde Danache, Mexican & International Lawyer, Matamoros, Mexico.
“John is the most efficient…and fastest business developer that I know in the field of international business. He has an excellent ability to connect people and he understands the differences between how business is done in each country and within each industry sector. I strongly recommend his work.” Jonas Lima, Senior Partner, Lima & Curvello Rocha Advogados, Brasilia, Brasil.
“John is excellent at identifying business development opportunities in the international arena.” Frank Samolis, Co-Chair,International Trade Practice Group at Squire Patton Boggs ( US ) LLP, Washington, DC
If you would like to discuss how John may be able to help your law firm or legal services sector organizations, please fill out the form below and we will contact you shortly to arrange a time for a discussion.