Legal technology innovation in the Asia-Pacific region has continued to accelerate in recent years, driven in part by the pandemic necessity for the tools necessary to optimize remote work. Indeed, an expert panel on this subject was recently gathered for a discussion — by India’s LawWiser.
With this subject in mind, Asia Law Portal has compiled a list of 30 leading Asia-Pacific region legal tech innovators that we have previously interviewed.
We hope this research might serve as a useful resource for anyone following the development of legal technology innovation in the Asia-Pacific region in 2023.
(Note: In the text of each entry we have provided a link to our interview with them.)
- Shruti Ajitsaria is Partner (London-based) of Allen & Overy (A&O) and Head of FUSE, A&O’s tech innovation space which is active in the firms Singapore office.
- Jason Arteche is Owner and Founder of Philippines legal tech startup Legal Tree.
- Vincent Birot is Co-Founder & CEO of Bangkok-based online legal services provider Belaws.
- Kim Chan is Founder and CEO of Hong Kong-based legal tech company DocPro.
- Adeline Chin is Director and Co-Founder of Kuala Lumpur-based knowledge management consultancy Law Asia 365 and co-chair of the Asia Pacific Legal Innovation and Technology Association (ALITA).
- Eric Chin is a NewLaw and legal technology expert and thought leader. Based in Singapore, he is Director at PwC NewLaw, Founding Board at ASEAN LegalTech (ALT), and Principal, Alpha Creates.
- Andrew King is one of the core connectors of the legal tech industry in New Zealand. The founder of LegalTechHub (a portal for legal tech in NZ), the founder of e-discovery and legal innovation consultancies, and the organizing force behind LawFest NZ.
- Sacha Kirk, Co-Founder and CMO, Australian legal collaboration startup Lawcadia.
- Josh Lee Kok Thong is a leading thinker, leader and pioneer in the regional law-of-tech and tech-of-law circles. He heads the Asia-Pacific office of the Future of Privacy Forum, a global non-profit on data privacy and emerging technologies. He also serves as the current Director and former Chairperson of the Singapore-based Asia-Pacific Legal Innovation and Technology Association (ALITA), and is the co-founder of virtual law and tech publication LawTech.Asia.
- Jennifer Lim Wei Zhen is among the most active legal innovators in the Asia-Pacific region. She co-founded LawTech.Asia and eTPL.Asia. She also sits on the founding steering committee of ALITA; and is a chapter organiser for Legal Hackers Singapore. She is part of the faculty at the Legal Innovation & Technology Institute and is regularly invited to speak on issues relating to technology and innovation.
- Hsiang Low is Hong Kong-based and Head of Asia-Pacific for legal tech startup SeedLegals. He is also a member of the Asia Pacific Legal Innovation and Technology Association (ALITA) Steering Committee Board.
- June Low is Founder of Kuala Lumpur-based legal tech startup EasyLaw.
- Daniel Lui is Co-Founder of LawTech Malaysia. Daniel is currently Legal Counsel at Beam Mobility in Singapore.
- Lachlan McKnight is CEO of Australia’s LegalVision – which the FT referred to as the fastest growing law firm in APAC.
- Farid Nor is Founder of Ligalis, a Malaysia-based cloud legal practice management software.
- Kailash Panday is Founder of LexpertEase, the first and only legal tech platform in Nepal. And also heads Startup Law Advisor.
- Namita Shah is Co-founder of Mumbai-based Presolv360, an online alternative to traditional dispute resolution systems.
- Dr. Arvind Singhatiya is Founder and CEO of LegalKart, an India-based technology platform that helps lawyers manage their legal practices.
- Alex Solo is Co-Founder of Sprintlaw, a tech-enabled legal startup based in Australia — whose focus is providing cost effective and efficient legal services to small businesses and startups.
- Irma Surya is founder of PLATO, a “one-stop-shop legal platform” focused on helping small businesses navigate Indonesia’s legal landscape.
- Cherilyn Tan is CEO of Singapore-based Asia Law Network — a professional legal portal focused on helping businesses and individuals connect with the right lawyers in Asia and Australasia. She is on the Founding Board of ASEAN LegalTech (ALT) – and is CEO of Tessaract.io — a B2B SaaS for workflow automation tool focused on professional services.
- Brian Tang is a Hong Kong-based innovator, ecosystem builder and educator at the confluence of law, technology and finance. He is founding executive director of the Law, Innovation, Technology & Entrepreneurship Lab (LITE Lab) at HKU Faculty of Law and and co-chair of the Asia Pacific Legal Innovation and Technology Association (ALITA)..
- Muiz Shahab Uddin is Chief Strategy Officer and co-founder of legal tech startup LegalX in Bangladesh.
- Shreya Vajpei is a Mumbai-based legal innovator, legal technology writer and advisor, and practice development professional – having begun her career as a lawyer.
- Marlon Valderama is President and CEO of Philippines legal startup LexMeet.
- Jonathan Voo has devoted his career to working within law firms, most recently as Senior Manager of Innovation (Asia Pacific) at Mayer Brown.
- Warwick Walsh is Founder and CEO of Austrialian legal technology company Lawcadia.
- Ben Winslade is a lawyer in New Zealand who established HONE, a platform for interactive online commercial/legal document training. He’s also chair of LegalTech NZ.
- Andrew Wong specializes in legal innovation initiatives for Dentons Rodyk. Based in Singapore, he formerly sat on the steering committee of the Asia-Pacific Legal Innovation and Technology Association (ALITA) and is an editor at LawTech.Asia.
- Evan Wong is CEO of Sydney-based digital transformation platform Checkbox.